Steam Cannon on Hilton Head

These remains are all that is left of a 50 foot steam cannon built on the island, the last of thirteen designed to protect the United States coast  Construction on the site began in 1897 and was completed in 1901. Designed by Edmund L. Zalinski, a Polish immigrant who fought in the Civil War and was an American artillery officer, it was designed to penetrate the metal hull of enemy ships and operated on pressurized air.

The steam cannon was installed and tested on the beach at Coggins Point, now Port Royal Plantation.and is 200 yards north of the site of Fort Walker, a Civil War-era fort, so a visit should include both sites which are at the end of Fort Walker Drive. In a park-like setting, parts of the turret cannon, steam piping and boiler rooms are visible.

Leave a Reply